Director, Compliance / Head of Compliance
Do you want to join a fast-growing company with huge potential? At nanopay, we are reimagining payments and building the future of frictionless® global transactions. We are a team of smart, creative individuals who are passionate about the roles we play to achieve our company’s vision of leading the world’s transition to digital cash. We are always looking for highly motivated, world-class people to help us make this vision a reality.
Founded in 2013, nanopay is a global payments technology company based in Toronto, offering business payment and liquidity management products. We offer businesses a cost-effective and secure way to send both domestic and cross-border payments, and offer banks and their corporate clients a real-time intercompany liquidity solution to release trapped capital. Our technology differentiates us. Built on hybrid blockchain technology, our platform improves throughput, simplifies governance, and reduces cost. nanopay’s long term goal is to digitize money for central banks and offer the infrastructure to enable what’s more commonly known as Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
As the leader of the Compliance Team, you will be responsible for ensuring nanopay complies with all relevant external regulatory requirements by creating and implementing internal controls. We’ve got the core of our program in place and this is an exciting opportunity to develop the program further as nanopay expands and to lead your own team as we grow. This includes:
- Developing, directing, and day-to-day management of all aspects of the nanopay’s compliance program, including, but not limited to: anti-money laundering/counter-terrorist financing/know your customer and sanctions (including but not limited to OFAC);
- Ensuring effective identification, measurement, control and management of relevant compliance and operational risks, while adhering to all applicable laws, rules, regulations and corporate requirements, which shall include appropriate risk assessments, testing, monitoring and employee training;
- Working closely with the Leadership Team, Payment Operations, and other internal Teams to identify, assess, update and mitigate the regulatory compliance risks posed to nanopay’s global operations, including determining the priorities and resources required to effectively control such risks;
- Providing compliance advisory guidance to nanopay’s Payment Operations, Product, IT and Risk and Fraud functions to ensure nanopay products send and receive payments in a compliant manner;
- Leading the delivery on automation and ongoing enhancements to AML/KYC onboarding, screening, and transaction monitoring programs while managing and adjusting transaction monitoring rules and alerts to meet nanopay’s risk appetite;
- Managing all aspects of AML/KYC, including the annual risk assessment process, training and policy reviews; due diligence reviews (CDD and EDD) of customers and partners; performing suspicious transaction investigations and STR filings; supporting external reviews and regulatory audits; and proactively advising the business of new/changed AML regulatory/policy changes and their impact to nanopay’s processes and controls;
- Assisting nanopay’s information security function in developing and implementing a GDPR compliant privacy program;
- Interacting with regulators on compliance issues, including promptly responding to any regulatory inquiries and supporting examinations;
- Continuously improving nanopay’s Compliance policies and procedures; and
- In the future, developing, overseeing and monitoring nanopay’s European Compliance Management Program. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Defining, developing, and documenting nanopay’s European AML, Sanctions and AB&C programs, Sanctions screening, transaction monitoring programs, SAR/STR filing program, as well as instituting policies and procedures to prevent, identify and halt Financial Crime.
- Revising on a periodic basis nanopay’s European compliance program in light of changes to nanopay’s business or changes in European laws and regulations.
- Training nanopay personnel, contractors and consultants to ensure they understand their responsibilities pursuant to applicable law and regulatory requirements.
- Facilitating regular regulatory risk assessments and examinations, and providing senior management with recommendations based on the results of these assessments and examinations.
- Helping to track and provide recommendations for remediation of identified exceptions or deficiencies identified through monitoring and testing activities, and collaborating with representatives of other functions to ensure timely remediation.
Who are you?
- Someone who likes a challenge and loves to succeed;
- Experience independently running a compliance program, in legal or compliance, ideally in a global capacity;
- Excellent team management skills, including the ability to oversee compliance and control activities within a global payment processing environment;
- Deep knowledge and experience in best practices in the areas of anti-money laundering and sanctions regime processes, procedures, and controls; fraud detection methodologies; and emerging practices in detecting and preventing financial crime;
- Expert understanding of AML and Sanctions regulations and respective controls within the Banking/Financial Services industry in both Canada and the US
- Great communicator and strong ability to motivate others. You should be good at problem-solving and have solid decision-making skills; you should have the ability to analyze complex information to identify the key issue/action and then drive resolution;
- Deep understanding of payment systems and be familiar with modern payments technologies such as mobile applications, with experience in banking, financial services or FinTech;
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple changing priorities with tight deadlines;
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in any field;
- ACAMS designation is preferred; and
- Fluency in French is an asset.